Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Somethings You Might Not Know About Me

Living in a new city, well if you call 2 years new, it dawns on me from time to time that my new friends and family don't know a lot about me. I have a feeling they KNOW who I am, what I believe in, what my passions are, what kind of wife and mom I am, and about some of my hobbies and such, but not the depths of WHO I really am. So I am going to sporadically write about myself, which is not going to be an easy task. MOST people don't like to talk about themselves, hear themselves recorded, or see themselves on video; (which includes me) but for the benefit of really getting to know me, here goes. I was born in 1978 in Aurora, Colorado. If you figured correctly I am 33 years old. We moved to South Dakota, where my mom divorced one dad and married another. (Sorry mom, I thought it would be a bit funny- we'll see, maybe not) Things in my life are a blur up until this point and this is where my memory kicks in. My mom married my dad and added 7 people to our very small and quiet family. Now there were 9 kids in a put-together family. I was 3 years old. We moved to Kansas and lived in a variety of small towns, 5 to be exact, before settling in the town my family now has lived in for 24 years. My mom and dad have run their own business for a long time, but my dad was also a professional jockey for almost 30 years. My mom had her own band and went to beauty school.



This is a picture of Aydan when she was 3 yrs. I couldn't find a pic of me, I don't have very many, but this is what I looked liked, exactly)


So it wouldn't surprise you that I too was a singer from the time I started to speak. We all sang, except the boys, they are a bunch of frogs, but I had a natural talent blessed to me by God and nurtured by my parents. Since we spent much time at the horse races, every single weekend, I got to sing the Star Spangled Banner every Sunday from the Stewards Tower over the microphone. I'm told that after I was done, and everyone applauded at that big voice with a tiny body, that I waltzed up and down every isle of the stadium to allow people to tell me how good I had done. Pretty humble hu! Living in the country with a good 'ol fashioned family provided that I would have ample opportunity to sing in every talent show in every county fair in close proximity. I sang every single Sunday in church after church in mostly impromptu settings. My dad would bump into someone we knew at an Orscheln or Wal-Mart store (I didn't shop at a Wal-Mart until late elementary school age) and say, Aimee sing them a song, and I had no choice, but to do so.

When we would get ready for church, the big event of the week, my mom and dad usually listened to the Gaither's or Kenneth Copeland, but on an occasion I would change the channel to Star Search. My life's dream for years was to get discovered on Star Search. We sang in a family gospel quartet. Besides all the old spiritual gospel songs we sang, Amy Grant was my favorite and I stole all of the songs my mom sang for myself too. (which sends me, when one of my girls insist that one of MY songs, is now theirs- what goes around comes around) And still to this day my favorite song it Joshua Fought the Battle of Jericho and a medley of praise songs. I'm Gonna Sing, Jesus Loves the Little Ones Like Me, I'm Gonna Get All Excited, & Joshua Fought the Battle of Jericho, will FOREVER be etched in my heart!


I know that I didn't appreciate it at the time, but what I didn't realize, is that I got to sing in 100's of churches, race tracks, and county fairs and spread the word of God, inspire, and uplift so many people. I didn't start singing country music until Junior High, then I really stepped out!

I bet you can't wait to read the next installation of - Somethings You Might Not Know About Me


When those gates are open wide I'm gonna be by Jesus side, I'm gonna sing, I'm gonna shout, Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment